Specialized Care for Pilots by Pilots
More than 9,000 licensed pilots are based in Connecticut, southern Massachusetts and Rhode Island. And the Aviation Medicine Center at NEIHA is here to serve them. The Aviation Medicine Center is the only one of its kind in the Northeast. It offers a full range of medical services to pilots, from medical certificate renewals to specialized treatment for aviation-related illnesses.
Services for private and commercial pilots include:
- Authorization of medical certifications, Classes I, II and III
- Physical exams for new pilots and consultation prior to flight training
- Support to pilots with medical deferments seeking to regain certification
- Expert consultation on medical issues such as flying with heart conditions and diabetes
- Aviation accident investigation, working with the Northeast Division of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
- Referral and access to specialists in areas related to aviation medicine, such as cardiology, ophthalmology, otology, psychiatry, substance abuse and endocrinology
- Advice and counseling in aviation medicine issues and illnesses, such as vertigo, hypoxia, aero otitis and aero sinusitis.
New England Integrative Health Associates (NEIHA) Aviation Medicine Specialist
Medical Director Michael Teiger, M.D., F.C.C.P., is a private pilot, flight instructor and senior aviation medical examiner certified by the FAA. Dr. Teiger has several years of experience working in aviation medicine and has established close working relationships in the aviation community and with the Flight Standards District Office at Bradley International Airport in Windsor Locks.